Last Updated on June 17, 2021
Aluminum has been a long-time favorite of homeowners for furnishing and construction projects thanks to its lightweight and durable feature. Aluminum, even with its bare look, has an attractive silver-white appearance that looks stylish and eye-catchy. Yes, many projects and homes may need to paint the aluminum for better durability and meeting the necessities of the project.
However, not all paints work well with this sleek metal. Thus, we present you with the eight best spray paint for aluminum for the best painting effect. These spray paints will help you quickly create a unique and creative piece of metal art around the home and furniture.
Also, our buying guide will help you know the factors to give importance to and avoid while purchasing aluminum spray paint.
So, let us start the review for these spray paints without much ado.
Now, it’s time to suggest your top 10 recommendations. All these paints are incredibly feature-packed and beneficial for practical uses.
- Premium Pick: Rust-Oleum 7251830-6PK Metallic Spray Paint (It adheres to the aluminum surface quickly. Also, it is usable on all metallic surfaces and other materials. On top of it, the metallic spray paint covers 15 square feet of space for a nice investment.)
- Budget-Friendly: Rust-Oleum 3389446-PK Advanced Spray Paint (The spray paint comes at reasonable pricing and has 30% better rust resistance. Also, its faster drying facility enables you to complete the paintwork quickly.)
- Editor’s Choice: Krylon K08973007 SUPER MAXX All-In-One Spray Paint (The all-in-one spray paint works both as a primer and paint. Thus, you won’t need a separate primer which is a money-saving investment. Also, you will love its brilliant finish.)
- Best Coverage: Rust-Oleum 249123 Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover
- Best For Ferrous, Non-ferrous Metal, Wood, Concrete, Masonry: Rust-Oleum 7579838-6 PK Professional Enamel Spray Paint
- Best For Paint & Primer Material: Krylon K08804007 ‘Dual’ Superbond Paint and Primer (Money saver spray paint)
- Best For Professional Projects: Krylon K05160202 ColorMaster Paint Spray
- Best Color Consistency: Rust-Oleum 7578838-6 PK High-Performance Enamel Spray
Jump To The Right Paint Sprayer
- Benefits of Using Spray Paint on Aluminum
- The Eight Best Spray Paint for Aluminum Reviews
- 1. Rust-Oleum 7251830-6PK Metallic Spray Paint
- 2. Rust-Oleum 249123 Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover
- 3. Rust-Oleum 7579838-6 PK Professional Enamel Spray Paint
- 4. Rust-Oleum 3389446-PK Advanced Spray Paint
- 5. Krylon K08973007 SUPERMAXX All-In-One Spray Paint
- 6. Krylon K08804007 ‘Dual’ Superbond Paint and Primer
- 7. Krylon K05160202 ColorMaster Paint + Primer
- 8. Rust-Oleum 7578838-6 PK High-Performance Enamel Spray Paint
- Buyer’s Guide for The Best Spray Paint for Aluminum
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Benefits of Using Spray Paint on Aluminum
Aluminum is used in buildings and furniture for its lightweight and durable construction. At one point, it has enhanced flexibility, and on the other hand, it enjoys extreme sturdiness. Yet, painting the aluminum surface enhances its durability and appearance.
When you pick the right spray paint for aluminum, it brings a myriad of benefits.
- When you pick the right spray paint, it will adhere properly to the aluminum. Thus, it enhances the durability of the paint. Also, better adherence means your paintwork will be easier and smoother.
- Spray paint is easy to use as you can spray it directly from the can. Thus, you don’t need an additional sprayer or container for paintwork. It saves time and money for you in the project completion.
- Another benefit of using spray paint is that it dries off rather fast. Hence, you won’t have to wait too long to apply the second coat of paint. Also, it doesn’t need any special skill for applying the spray paint.
- The sprayer paint is available in various finishes. Thus, it will be easier for you to match the finish with your existing décor if you are going to use it in your home and indoor furniture for a brilliant color.
- Spray paint often comes with a tip nozzle that relieves you from hand fatigue. Also, the medium-sized can of the spray doesn’t force your hand to feel the weight.
Tips on Using the Spray Paint for Aluminum Properly
- If you are using the spray on an existing paint, sand it correctly to remove the old color. It helps you in getting a smooth paint finish.
- You may use a wire brush if you have to strip off a large surface, both indoor and outdoor. It will quicken the striping process.
- After you have sanded and stripped off the existing paint, you should clean the space with a piece of a damp cloth. It leaves the surface clean and ready for direct paint. Also, cleaning the surface removes any dust particles and leaves smooth paint on it.
- If your spray paint doesn’t come with a primer, you should use a separate primer for the purpose. It prevents rust at one hand and, on the other hand, adheres to the paint better. Hence, you must prime the surface at first.
- Before you apply the second coat of paint, you must allow the 1st coat to dry entirely. If the paint isn’t dried properly, the coat will be uneven and may even spill off the surface.
The Eight Best Spray Paint for Aluminum Reviews
Whether your aluminum-made patio furniture or decorative items look dull or rusty, the spray paint will elevate its looks quickly. Aluminum needs extra care during the paintwork, and we have kept this toughness in mind.
Here, take a look at the spray paint material that suits your necessity.
Rust-Oleum has been the favorite of all hobbyists and professionals for its fast drying and easy applying facility. We kept this metallic spray paint on our top recommendation thanks to its versatility and long-lasting adherence to the aluminum material.
Its coating has both water and weather-resistant feature. Thereby, it is suitable for both painting on the interior and an exterior surface. Besides aluminum, you can use it for wood or other metal surfaces and even masonry works. Nonetheless, use a primer before applying the paint for the best results.
The paint formula comes with oil-based manufacturing. Thus, its coating is more lasting with great smoothness on any surface. Also, the paint coating is resistant to abrasion, rust, and chipping to keep the paint intact. On top of it, it doesn’t fade away soon.
Its metallic flakes provide the shiniest and smoothest finish you may think of shortly. The rust-resistant paint comes in a nice container with a suitable nozzle. It enables you to spray the paint comfortably on the surfaces. Once sprayed evenly, it only takes 20 minutes to dry up to allow you to touch the surface and apply the 2nd coat if need be.
One container of 6-pack will cover 15 square feet of space, which is a good investment for the money.
- Durable paint with rust and fade resistance
- Fast-drying effect on all surfaces
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- The spray nozzle gets clogged soon
You can use the paint for aluminum and other metals, including wood and masonry projects.
Our second recommendation for painting aluminum also comes from Rust-Oleum. It has an attractive and visually pleasing glossy berry pink color that never goes out of style. When you paint the sliver appearance of aluminum with it, you will surely fall in love with the aesthetics it brings to your home or office décor.
The oil-based formulation of the paint is rust, coat, and abrasion-resistant. Thus, it actually saves aluminum from corrosion to prolong the building’s lifespan. Also, its weather and water-resistance feature means you can use the coat for both indoor and outdoor surfaces.
The container comes with 2X paint material to cover a larger surface. It permits you to complete the project paint quickly. Moreover, you can apply the sprayer on other metals, wood, and glazed ceramic surface as well for remarkable furnishing.
Its container design features a spray tip for comfy and convenient painting. Also, the container has a wider finger pad. It reduces fatigue of your fingers for comfy use on the whole surface. It is a great benefit for professionals and homeowners alike.
- Attractive and shiny finish
- Lessens hand fatigue for long use
- It doesn’t chip or fades away soon
- It won’t work on untidy space
You can use spray paint for painting patio decks, furniture, and other surfaces. It dries in less than 20 minutes for the smoothest paint.
This Rust-Oleum spray paint is made for professional use, but homeowners and DIY painters also can use it alike. Also, many projects won’t work with regular formula. Thus, this enamel spray paint will show its magic in those moments with fast-drying, convenient use, and durable paint results.
The enamel paint sprayer is designed to work with different ferrous and non-ferrous metals, including aluminum. Thus, the silver appearance of the aluminum surface comes with an attractive shiny finish that ensures the brilliance of the paint. Also, the finish is rust and fade-resistance apart from being attractive. It, thus, promises to withstand the weathering impact with grace.
Its formulation is of the highest quality ensuring resistance against rust, corrosion, chipping, and fading. It enhances the aluminum lifespan considerably. So, you remain peaceful and calm, knowing that the aluminum won’t get damaged underneath the shiny black coating.
The sprayer covers 14 square feet area with only 15 minutes of drying time. It facilitates the quickest project completion. Lastly, the output tip of the sprayer is made truly made for industrial and professional use. It sprays the paint fast and smoothly on any surface with perfect evenness. Also, it reduces hand fatigue.
- Speedy drying and glossy paint finish
- Ideal for use in the demanding environment
- Withstand all types of elements for durability
- Professional-grade spraying tip for comfort
- A touch expensive for DIY projects
The black glossy paint is also usable as primer directly. You will love its application on interior and exterior surfaces too.
While painting aluminum, you have to take the paint adhering ability with the metallic surface. In this regard, the Rust-Oleum 3389446-PK earns its spot in the best spray paint for aluminum with true and useful benefits. Its fast-drying impact and easy-to-use feature enable both professionals and hobbyists alike to apply it on any surface.
Yes, it is literally usable on the indoor and exterior surfaces. Whether you plan to color the patio, deck, or other surfaces, the semi-gloss black finish of it comes with impressive results. The can comes in 12 fluid ounces. It is sufficient to cover six to ten square feet of space. Although it is tough lower than our previous three paint recommendations, it is still a worthy investment.
Likewise, in our previous selection, the spray paint is rust, corrosion, and weather-resistance. In fact, it enjoys a 30% better rust-resistance facility. On top of it, it cures 50% faster than regular enamel paints for quick project completion.
- Smooth finish with brilliant color
- Fastest drying paint for quick use
- Usable for different surfaces
- Promises color retention with maximum impact
- It doesn’t cover a sufficient space
The satin finish is a brilliant paint solution for home interior space and furniture. It indeed looks brilliant and eye-catchy.
Many homeowners, DIY painters, and even some professionals dislike sanding or priming before the paintwork. If you are one of them, you can quickly opt for the Krylon Supermax All-in-One paint and apply it with convenience. As you can use the spray paint without priming or sanding, it helps you in the quickest project completion.
The satin almond color looks gorgeous on any surface but works best in interior space and furniture. Also, the paint adheres to aluminum greatly and boasts enhanced durability. You can use the all-in-one spray paint on metal, wood, plastic, and masonry materials. It promises to offer one of the most lasting and attractive colors of its class.
Next, the paint is rust-proof for added durability. Also, it withstands external elements to be used in exterior surfaces too. You will also appreciate its push spray tip. It is easy to use and ensures reduced hand fatigued up to 2X more. So, you will enjoy its spraying on larger surfaces without any fatigue or pain later.
- Usable without sanding and priming
- Enhanced rust and fade protection
- Lessens hand fatigue at work up to 2X more
- It needs a bit more time for drying
You can apply the satin almond paint on furniture, patio, deck, or on walls for an engaging finish. It truly leaves a signature color on the surfaces.
Burgundy colors have something special about them that none can’t ignore. This time, Krylon introduces to us their gloss burgundy color for the most eye-catchy and aesthetical finish on any surface. You will love the way this paint spray brings about a contemporary look in your home and furniture in a short time.
And guess what? You won’t need to pay additional money for the priming material. Yes, this ‘Dual Superbond’ paint works both as a primer and paint material. Hence, it saves both your money and time during the painting project. Thus, it is no wonder why professionals and constructors love using the Krylon glossy burgundy color in their projects.
You may get the paint in standard flat and satin finishes as well. The overall impression will truly be one of the most amazing colors you may ever imagine. It adheres to the aluminum and other metal surfaces with perfection. What’s more, you can quickly apply it on masonry, wicker, or even on concrete floors. Thus, it is one of the most versatile paint apart from being the best spray paint for aluminum.
Its overall durability and rust-resistance are admirable too.
- Available in three various color finishes
- Works both as paint and primer material
- Versatile application on all surface types
- Time and money-saving spray paint
- The tip design may cause hand fatigue
You may use it solely as a primer or as the primer and paint material both. Also, its usability on all surfaces makes it an immediate choice for versatile applications.
Color Master is a popular paint model of Krylon, and it has become a great choice for decorating your home interior, exterior and modern furniture with a great look. The flat black color will adhere quickly to the bare aluminum surface to provide the smoothest finish.
On top of it, it also works as a primer. Thus, you can save money without purchasing a primer. Once you apply it on any surface, it uses an auto-priming facility for an even color. Moreover, the paint has used Covermax technology. It provides remarkable coverage and a brilliant finish with the exceptional durability of the paint. As it covers a large space, it helps you in saving some money too.
Another benefit of the paint is its quick drying effect. In fact, it will dry in less than 10 minutes, allowing you to apply the 2nd and 3rd coats if need be. Furthermore, the overall curing time is far less too compared to other paints. Hence, you will see its use in large projects where fast-drying of the paint is almost mandatory.
Last but not least, it is rust, corrosion, and fade-resistant for even use in indoor and outdoor space. It is a superior benefit of the paint.
- Covermax technology for maximum coverage
- Dries in less than 10 minutes for quick coating
- Ideal for large and medium paint projects
- It is slightly expensive
You can use sprayer paint on any surface. Also, it is available in various attractive colors and finishes to compliment your home décor.
Rust-Oleum never fails to disappoint the homeowners and professional painters with its dependable and durable paints. They have once again hit our expectation makes bulls-eye with this high-performing spray paint. It is formulated from oil-based enamel for a finish that takes some time to fade away and chipping.
It also withstands external elements and weathers for lasting service. Also, it does not only adhere quickly to aluminum but also works fine on all metals, wood, masonry, and other surfaces perfectly. So, you won’t have to be concerned about its usability in your home or commercial projects. Also, it is ideal for use on exterior and interior surfaces.
It is a high-performing paint and promises to retain the color without fading away soon. The color consistency is, in fact, its main selling point. Besides durability and consistency, the paint also offers ample coverage and fast drying. It dries off in less than 15 minutes and ready for the next coating in one hour or so.
- Brilliant color consistency
- Adheres to surfaces quickly
- It is super-easy to use on any surface
- Nothing reported so far
You should use a primer before coating the surface with this paint. It will yield the best and most attractive color finishes.
Buyer’s Guide for The Best Spray Paint for Aluminum
Aluminum itself has an attractive white-silver color. Hence, even the bare aluminum brings a nice decorative part in indoor and outdoor space. However, coating it with the right paint enhances its beauty and durability.
Nonetheless, you have to be choosy while picking the right paint for aluminum. You may consider the following facts for the top-rated aluminum spray paint.
Use in Indoor and Outdoor Spaces
You have to understand that not all spray paint is usable in all conditions. While some paints are usable in indoor space, others are made for exterior use. Then, there are other spray paints applicable in both situations. Hence, you have to determine where you would use the paint material to get the suitable paint.
The paint for outdoor use should withstand weather and external elements such as rust, fade, and chipping. So, keep it in mind while buying the paint material for outdoor use.
Dry Time of The Spray Paint
Next, you must consider the time the aluminum spray paint needs for drying. It is essential because it decides how much time you will need to complete the project. Also, remember that the drying time has two variants. Firstly, a quick drying time for touch, and secondly, the time you need before applying the second coat of paint.
For instance, most paints will be dry enough for touch in less than 20 minutes. But for applying the second coat, most paints will need around 24 hours. However, some extremely speedy drying paint will need not more than 12 hours. So, keep it on your consideration list.
You should also truly consider the paint preparation step for the aluminum spray paint. Some paint comes with only the paint facility. Hence, you may need priming and sanding before applying those spray paints over the aluminum surface.
On the other hand, some sprays facilitate both primer and paint. It enables you to use the paint directly on the surface without any sanding or priming. It quickens the painting project and also saves money since you won’t need to buy a primer separately.
The spray paints are available in various finishes. The finish includes gloss sating, semi-gloss satin, matte or flat satin. The full-gloss finish is suitable for furniture, while the flat finish may work better on already painted furniture. And for outdoor usage, you may prefer using the semi-gloss finish.
Also, it depends on your home décor. You may consider matching it with your already existing color and finish.
Durability and Coverage
Determine how much space you will paint. Then, select the spray paint accordingly. Ideally, a 6-pack or 12-ounce fluid paint will cover 12 to 15 square feet of space at ease. Hence, you should determine the number of paint spray you will need to complete the entire project.
Also, make sure the paint is durable. It should withstand rust and UV-rays successfully. Also, the paint must not fade away soon. Otherwise, your paint will be lost soon, needing more paint. It can be a costly investment if the paint is not durable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What type of paint is best for metal?
You should choose oil-based enamel and acrylic spray paint for metals, including aluminum. Also, you should use the oil-based primer with spray paint for the best results.
Why spray paint often gets peeled off from the aluminum?
The main reason for the paint peeling off from the aluminum is the poor-quality of the sprayer. When the paint has inferior adherence, it will soon get damaged. So, you must use high-quality paint to trigger the paint’s durability.
How to prepare the aluminum surface for painting?
You should use light abrasion to prepare the aluminum surface for painting. Also, Also, clean the surface with a damp cloth to remove the dust particles before priming. Then, you can apply the 1st coat of spray paint.
Aluminum is a popular choice for buildings and furniture. When you choose the best spray paint for aluminum, you will elevate its look and durability. There are options to choose from different color tones and textures with various finishes that suit your décor and style preference.
We have included a varied range of finishes and colors for your preference. Thus, you should quickly opt for the right spray paint and start the paintwork. Cheers!
I am extremely happy to share with you my experience throughout SprayerBoss. As a painter, I like to experiment with new sprayers from different brands. Since my first painting, I love to learn new things every time I doing a painting project for my own or clients. I have painted fences, walls, furniture, cabinets, cars, etc. but painting furniture is more challenging to me. Hope you will get the easiest way I found myself to overcome the difficulties towards a better finish. My hunger is to find the best paint sprayer that took less effort but budgets friendly. My 2nd child Dany N. Bailey always love to repaint his old toys. I will publish new tips and tricks as long as you are benefited from my blog.