Last Updated on July 23, 2021
What is the best paint sprayer for home use? If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you may have seen them used on a home improvement show – and don’t know where to start. Because then you go to the home improvement store (or maybe you shop online) and you have no idea what paint sprayer to buy. They all have their pros and cons – but it is still confusing. This is why we have put together a list of the best paint sprayers to buy for home use. It’s the ultimate guide to finding the best paint sprayer for your project.
Our Top 10 Picks – Keep reading for more details on each products
- Best for Reversible Spray: Graco TrueCoat 360 – Allow painting even if one end get clogged and useful for multi-colored projects
- Best for Woodworkers: Earlex SprayPort 6003 – Color distribution more evenly on wood and other surfaces even with thick paint
- Best for Smaller Projects: TACKLIFE SGP15AC – control the flow rate and width of the spray. Easy to carry because all parts are removable
- Best for Beginning Home Improvement: Scuddles HVLP 1200 – Easy to use for both thicker and thinner paints
- Best For Light Weight: TECCPO 2.0 HVLP – Has a fully adjustable valve that controls the flow rate of paints
- Best for Brushless Paint: Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus – Has the capacity to spray 1 or 5 gallons of paint
- Best for Larger Projects: Graco Magnum Pro X17 – Has the capacity to spray 300 gallons of paint materials per years
- Best for Home Projects: Graco Magnum Pro X19 – Fully adjustable pressure system which controls the flow rate of spray and capacity of 500 gallons of paint materials per year
- Best for Multi-story Houses: Graco Pro210ES – Has the power to spray 47 gallons of paint per minute and easy to move the machine
- Best Finish: Wagner Spraytech Fine Finish Detail Nozzle – 0529013 – Round, vertical, and horizontal spray patterns available
|Product Title||Special Feature|
|Graco TrueCoat 360 Paint Sprayer - 16Y385||Sprays up to 25 gallons of paint per year|
|Earlex SprayPort 6003 HVLP Paint Sprayer||Perfect for almost any coatings, Professional results with no brush marks|
|TACKLIFE Hand-held Paint Sprayer- SGP15AC||30 oz. container to hold more paint|
|TACKLIFE Hand-held Paint Sprayer- SGP15AC||Multiple nozzles included|
|TECCPO 2.0 HVLP Paint Sprayer - TAPS02P||1300ml (45 oz.) container|
Jump To The Right Paint Sprayer
- Choosing the right paint sprayer for the first time
- Quick Comparison: Home Use Paint Spray Machine
- Our Number 1 Pick: The Graco TrueCoat 360 Paint Sprayer – 16Y385
- 2. The Earlex SprayPort 6003 HVLP Paint Sprayer – 0HV6003GUS
- 3. The TACKLIFE Hand-held Paint Sprayer- SGP15AC
- 4. The Scuddles HVLP 1200 Watt Power Paint Sprayer – XKU3199110
- 5. TECCPO 2.0 HVLP Paint Sprayer – TAPS02P
- 6. Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus – 257025
- 7. The Graco Magnum ProX17 Stand Paint Sprayer – 17G177
- 8. The Graco Magnum ProX19 Cart Paint Sprayer – 17G180
- 9. The Graco Pro210ES Cart Pro Connect Paint Sprayer – 17C305
- Bonus Pick: Wagner Spraytech Fine Finish Detail Nozzle – 0529013
- Paint Spray for home use Buyers Guide
- Additional information – FAQs
Choosing the right paint sprayer for the first time
You don’t want to spend good money on a paint sprayer- only to find it doesn’t work for your project. Especially since you will also waste the money, you spent on paint when your paint sprayer fails. Not to mention your time.
So by reading our Ultimate Guide on How to Find the Best Paint Sprayer for Home Use – you will have a professional-looking home improvement project the first time around.
Something you might not know:
The acronym HVLP is short for a high-volume low-pressure paint sprayer. This kind of paint sprayer is used for spraying paint to complete paint jobs quickly. Like when you are painting furniture, houses, and car parts. The result is also more professional-looking. This is because the paint comes out in a fine spray and looks like the original factory finishes.
And why is that? It’s because a paint sprayer uses compressed air to distribute the paint evenly. These paint sprayers are also much more affordable and more comfortable to use than you might think.
So first, let’s review the top paint sprayers on the market. Then, we’ll present additional information and a buyer’s guide to help you decide as to which is the best paint sprayer for home use in your situation!
Quick Comparison: Home Use Paint Spray Machine
Our Number 1 Pick: The Graco TrueCoat 360 Paint Sprayer – 16Y385
The Graco TrueCoat 360 paint sprayer has features that allow you to complete many different kinds of home painting projects.
For example, it has a continuous spraying feature. As a weekend home improvement do-it-yourselfer, you may have had the experience of a nozzle for home use that gets clogged. It can happen on even the best paint sprayers. But it is still frustrating because you might be painting when you don’t have any time to waste.
A reversible spray tip will make your painting project go faster.
The best thing about the Graco TrueCoat 360 paint sprayer is that it has a reversible spray tip, which allows you to keep painting – even if one end is clogged. Also, the Graco 16Y385 TrueCoat 360 paint sprayer will spray in any direction. This means that you can even spray upside down.
This paint sprayer can be used with different colors in one session.
There is another feature of the Graco TrueCoat 360 that genuinely makes it the best paint sprayer for home use. It’s a fact that you can use it for multi-colored projects in one painting session. This is because the Graco TrueCoat 360 paint sprayer has a FlexLiner bag that is an improvement on traditional material cups. This allows you to change the bags as you are painting. After your project completed, you can reuse the bags or recycle them.
Working with unthinned paints is possible with the Graco TrueCoat 360.
You can use unthinned paint with Graco TrueCoat 360 paint sprayer at a higher pressure than other machines. This means that you don’t have to thin down any paints if you are working with thicker materials.
- Spray paint when it is unthinned
- Continuous spraying
- Can handle multicolor projects
- Sprays in all directions
- Sprays up to 25 gallons of paint per year
- Comes with 2 reversible spray tips
- Less expensive than other brands
- May drip paint on your hands
- Might work on and off before it shuts down
- May spray excess paint
- Might only work with thin paint
- May not cover surfaces evenly
The Earlex SprayPort 6003 HVLP paint sprayer is designed explicitly for severe woodworkers. It is a durable sprayer that doesn’t leave brush marks when you refinish trim, cabinets, furniture, or even doors.
This sprayer delivers efficient atomization.
The Earlex SprayPort 6003 HVLP paint sprayer features a 3-stage turbine. It also offers an output of 5.5 PSI that provides enhanced atomization. What atomization means is that even with thick paint, the fine particles will be distributed more evenly on wood and other surfaces. This provides for more professional-looking results for your home projects.
And there’s something else. This paint sprayer works with many different coatings. This includes varnishes, stains, enamels, lacquer, milk paints, latex, chalk paints, shellac, and polyurethanes.
Buying a gravity fed spray gun means less cleanup.
The Earlex SprayPort 6003 HVLP paint sprayer also has a gravity fed spray gun. This is a non-bleed Pro8 spray gun. This means it won’t leak on your hands or your floors when you are painting. That’s why it is so important. This spray gun fitted with a 1.3 mm needle/air cap set with a comfortable grip handle that allows for more prolonged use and less chance of splattering paint where you don’t want it.
But here’s what puts the Earlex SprayPort 6003 HVLP paint sprayer in a category of its own. It comes with a single 25 ft. Hyperflex hose. This hose has fittings that are easy to connect and disconnect and allows you to maneuver around any complex home project. This is a paint sprayer that will enable you to work from any angle.
- Gravity-fed spray gun
- Unique spray hose
- Perfect for almost any coatings
- Professional results with no brush marks
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
- Made in the USA
- More expensive than other sprayers
- This sprayer may leave streaks and uneven coverage
- Some units seem to be defective
- May spit out globs of paint instead of atomizing
The TACKLIFE SGP15AC hand-held paint sprayer is probably one of the least expensive sprayers on the market. It has a 5.9-foot power cord, is lightweight, and ideal for smaller tasks that require professional-looking results.
The TACKLIFE SGP15AC comes with a complete setup.
4 nozzles come with the kit. This allows for a circular jet, vertical, or horizontal spray patterns.
In this case, there are three nozzle sizes, which measure at 2.0mm, 2.5mm, and 3.0mm. There is also one copper nozzle, which measures at 1.0mm. It means you can adjust the paint spray, which lets you pick the best flow of paint for your project.
The TACKLIFE hand-held paint sprayer also has adjustable valve knobs so that you can adjust not only the flow rate but also the width of the spray. It does not leave brush marks and can use with most types of finishes – except for latex paint. Latex paint cannot apply with this paint sprayer.
This paint sprayer is perfect for smaller projects.
This sprayer is ideal for smaller projects. It includes painting shutters, wooden toys, tables, bicycles, chairs, and car parts.
The TACKLIFE hand-held paint sprayer has a 900 ml paint container with a removable top that allows you to add more paint as you complete your work conveniently. When your project finished, all of the parts can be disassembled quickly. It is also a paint sprayer that is easy to clean. This is because the TACKLIFE hand-held paint sprayer comes with cleaning tools that make for faster cleanup. Great for smaller projects.
- One of the least expensive paint sprayers on the market
- Comes with everything you need if you have never used a paint sprayer
- Multi nozzles
- 30 oz. container to hold more paint
- Spray width lever
- Smart nozzle selector
- Quick refill lid on the detachable paint container
- Not meant for latex or thick paints
- Not intended for large projects like painting walls
- May clog or spray in excess
- The container may leak paint
- May only work efficiently with stains
The Scuddles HVLP 1200 watt power paint sprayer is perfect for the beginning home improvement enthusiast. First off, this paint sprayer comes as a full kit. It features 3 different spray patterns, including horizontal, circular jet, and vertical. What this means is that you can complete any project you are working on with no brush strokes and no missed areas of paint coverage.
The Scuddles HVLP 1200 Watt comes with helpful accessories.
This model comes with a 6-foot power cord, 4 nozzle caps, and a 1,000 ml container for coating materials. The nozzles measure 2.6mm, 2.2mm, and 1.8mm. What this means is that you can use it for thicker paints (like chalk paint) and also for thin colors like varnishes and sealers. And the 1-quart container means you don’t have to stop painting to refill it on smaller projects.
The kit also includes cleaning tools that make cleaning the paint sprayer much easier. When you open the box, you will find straws and a cleaning brush that will help you get the Scuddles HVLP 1200 Watt power paint sprayer ready for your next project!
You can also adjust the spray flow, so whether you are painting a car door, a fence, or a piece of furniture, you will be able to get the job done. And with the adjustable nozzles, you can cover between 10 to 14 inches of an area at a time.
- Low price
- Perfect for beginning do-it-yourselfers
- Multiple nozzles included
- Will handle multiple materials
- Extra parts can easily found online
- There can be some overspray
- The parts are made of plastic
- Not recommended for latex paints
- Will not handle larger projects
Like most paint sprayers, the TECCPO 2.0 HVLP paint sprayer has three spray patterns. This includes circular jet, along with the horizontal and vertical. It also comes with 3 nozzle sizes – 1.8mm, 2.6mm, and 3.00mm. These are copper nozzles. So unlike some other sprayers, the parts are not all plastic.
Although, like any best paint sprayer for home use, the TECCPO 2.0 HVLP paint sprayer is not recommended for latex paints or oil-based paints. However, it works fine for clear finishes, stains, wood sealers, primers, automotive finishes, and water-based paints.
Controlling the flow of paint is essential.
This is why the TECCPO 2.0 HVLP paint sprayer has a fully adjustable valve. This allows you to control the flow of paint for whatever project you choose. For example, if you want to paint a fence, you can spray paint at a higher pressure rate. Or, if you are refinishing a wooden chair, you can adjust the flow rate down to a lower pressure for this type of smaller project.
The TECCPO 2.0 HVLP paint sprayer comes with a 1300ml (45 oz.) container so there is no need to interrupt your project to refill it with paint continually. It has a larger container than some other paint sprayers – so it is more convenient with regards to stopping to add more paint.
The length of the cord on your paint sprayer is essential as well.
The TECCPO 2.0 HVLP paint sprayer also comes with a 6.5-foot cable. And it only weighs 3.9 pounds. So if you are working on a more extended project, your arms won’t get as tired. If you have never used a sprayer before, this may be the one to start with.
- Very inexpensive
- Easy to set up and take apart for cleaning
- Consistent spray
- Works with any thin paints and finishes
- Has a broad spray range for larger areas
- Easy to clean with the included brush
- The paint flow is minimal as compared to other brands
- Does not have an even spray pattern
- Can tend to clog up, even with a thin paint
- The canister may have cracks or holes
- May spill paint
6. Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus – 257025
The Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus is a premium paint sprayer for the advanced do-it-yourselfer. It cost a little more, but it is worth it if you are experienced in home improvement and want the best non-brushless finishes possible.
This is because the Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus Paint sprayer has many features that the other paint sprayers don’t have.
The Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus offers maximum control of paint flow.
The first positive thing you will notice about The Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus is that you can control the paint flow much better than with less expensive models. This paint sprayer has a fully adjustable pressure control to deliver the most gentle paint flow for projects of any size. You can also reverse the tip to keep painting – if the tip gets clogged from heavier paints and finishes.
But there is one other nice feature of The Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus. You can spray paint and coatings right from the paint bucket. This paint sprayer will work with a 1 or 5-gallon paint can, so you can spray a room or the outside of your home very quickly.
This machine will support 50 ft. of paint hose so that you can reach the second story of a house if you are painting it yourself. And if you are an independent contractor, this is the best paint sprayer for home use.
The Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus works well with unthinned paints.
And the helpful thing about the Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus is that you can use unthinned colors at 50 gallons per year. So if you want to tackle a large project, there are no worries that this paint sprayer will bog down with clogs from latex paints or overuse.
- Better for extensive projects than less expensive brands
- RAC IV switch tip allows for tip reversal to prevent clogging
- Works with any unthinned paint
- Can spray directly from your paint bucket
- Storage compartments for all components
- Can support up to 50 ft. of paint hose
- Heavy – weighs 15 pounds
- Spray hose connection may be faulty and leak
- The spray hose itself may also leak
- Paint may leak out of the pump shaft inside the housing
There are a lot of advantages to using the Graco Magnum ProX17 stand paint sprayer. Whether you are an experienced do-it-yourselfer or a professional painter – this paint sprayer will give you a superior finish for all of your projects. It also has other benefits for a severe refinisher.
The Graco Magnum ProX17 Stand paint sprayer has a large capacity for paints.
But the main advantage of using the Graco Magnum ProX17 is that you can spray up to 300 gallons of liquid materials per year. While most paint sprayers will only accommodate 50 gallons per year, the Graco Magnum ProX17 will let you tackle larger projects like refinishing a whole house.
This is because this paint sprayer will accommodate a paint hose of up to 150 ft, which means that you can paint the upper story of a larger home. Then you can paint the interior walls in half the time it would take to use a brush. And like some other Graco models, you don’t need a container. You can feed your refinishing materials directly from a 1 or 5-gallon bucket of paint or stain and apply it directly to the surface you are refinishing.
This machine won’t clog if you are working on a large project.
This is also another Graco paint sprayer that comes with a reverse tip so that if there is clogging, you simply reverse the advice and keep spraying. If you don’t know much about paint spraying, the critical element of any air sprayer is that you can complete the job without any mechanical malfunctions.
And one more thing about the Graco Magnum ProX17. It is fast and easy to clean. It has a power flush adapter that easily hooks up to a garden hose for a quick interior cleanup of the equipment.
- Sprays any unthinned paint
- The excellent paint control flow for any size project
- Continuous spraying for larger projects
- Easy cleanup
- Handles more projects in the calendar year
- One of the more expensive home paint sprayers
- Complicated to operate for the inexperienced
- The motor may wear out prematurely
- Not enough instructions for the beginning painter
- Only made for experienced contractors
The Graco Magnum ProX19 cart paint sprayer has upgraded features that some of the other paint sprayer models don’t have. It’s a little bit more expensive, but it is is the best paint sprayer for home use if you want a paint sprayer with a cart.
The first feature that you will find helpful for home projects is that the Graco Magnum ProX19 has fully adjustable pressure to allow for maximum control of the paint flow. It also comes with a RAC IV switch tip that will enable you to prevent clogs by reversing the advice. This way, you can keep spraying with fewer clogs.
The Graco Magnum ProX19 Cart has an added pump filter.
Another feature of the Graco Magnum ProX19 is that it has an added pump filter that can help reduce clogs by filtering any debris in the paint. The ProX19 stainless steel piston pump also allows you to spray unthinned paint at a more substantial pressure than other paint sprayers.
The Graco Magnum ProX19 has the largest capacity for paint on our list.
You can spray up to 500 gallons per year, which makes the Graco Magnum ProX19 cart paint sprayer a high volume sprayer. As well, the flexible suction tube allows you to spray right out of any 1 gallon or 5-gallon paint can. Along with the ability to support 150 ft. of paint hose, this spraint payer is ideal for multi-story dwellings.
The cleanup of this paint sprayer is fast because it can be hooked directly to a garden hose.
Of course, the Graco Magnum ProX19 sits on a platform with wheels, so it is easier to maneuver around for large jobs.
- Sprays every coating, including latex
- Clogs less than other paint sprayers
- Perfect for painting multi-story homes
- Easy to maneuver around a large worksite
- Sprays more gallons during the year
- More expensive than other models
- Mainly for professional use
- May not perform at high pressure
- Wheels may be bent or damaged in shipping
- May lose power
The Graco Pro210ES Cart Pro Connect is the most expensive paint sprayer in our guide, but it is well worth the money. Especially with all of the features it has.
This airless paint sprayer is more potent than other paint sprayers and also more versatile. That is because not only is it mounted on a frame with wheels, but it will also maintain its power on long extension cords. It makes the Graco Pro210ES ideal for larger jobs and multi-story houses.
The Graco Pro210ES Cart Pro Connect works with any materials.
This professional-grade paint sprayer can spray almost any materials you might use in a construction job. It includes heavier materials like acrylics and latex.
The Graco Pro210ES Cart Pro Connect paint sprayer is a powerful machine. It has a spray power of .47 gallons per minute and can handle up to a .21 inch spray tip. This is because the pump is so powerful. And its V-Max packings deliver reliable performance and last for a long time. However, the shoe is also replaceable if you are in the middle of a large project, and it wears out.
The Graco Pro210ES Cart Pro Connect comes with everything you need.
The Graco Pro210ES Cart Pro Connect paint sprayer comes with a lot of accessories. It includes a 515 spray tip, an SG3 metal spray gun, TSL, a 515 spray tip, and a 50 ft. Duraflex airless paint hose. It also comes with a demonstrational DVD and instruction guide.
- Comes with everything you need to get started
- More powerful than most sprayers
- Lasts longer than less expensive sprayers
- Higher work capacity
- Mounted on wheels for easy manageability
- Maintains power on long extension cords
- More expensive than other paint sprayers
- Mainly for professionals, not do-it-yourselfers
- May shipped with missing or broken parts
- May not hold pressure as promised
The Wagner Spraytech frontend nozzle is explicitly designed for Wagner paint sprayers. It isn’t a complete sprayer unit, but it’s a functional front end nozzle to add if you already have the Wagner paint sprayer. And it’s perfect for delivering an elegant finish on projects where you don’t want to leave any brush marks. So if you are painting furniture, trim, or cabinets – this is the front end nozzle to buy for a smooth finish.
This front end nozzle is made to work with oil and water-based paints, sealers, stains, and polyurethane coatings. The Wagner spray tech also has an adjustable flow control knob and has three spray patterns (round, vertical, and horizontal.) So it can be used on virtually any project.
It is compatible with Wagner paint sprayers like the Control Spray Max, the PaintREADY sprayer, the Control Spray Double Duty, the PaintREADY Station, and all FLEXIO sprayers.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Made for easy cleanup
- 20 oz. container
- Lock-n-Go technology
- Easy to switch to different finishes
- Provides a factory-like finish on furniture and cabinets
- Front end nozzle may get stuck after prolonged use
- May leak after a few uses
- Can only be used with thin materials
- Have to thin down thicker materials with water or turpentine
- May spray paint clumps occasionally which will mar the finish
- Only works with Wagner paint sprayers – which are purchased separately
Paint Spray for home use Buyers Guide
If you have never used a paint sprayer before, you will need to read each description before you buy one. You should also read the positive and negative comments on any seller’s website.
Why do-it-yourselfers get disappointed with paint sprayers.
Many times, people are depressed with a paint sprayer because they buy a sprayer that is not right for the job. For example, you can’t use a smaller paint sprayer to paint the outside of a house.
So if you have never used a paint sprayer and want to start on some home improvements, it is better to start with a smaller project. Like painting a room in your house. Or a piece of furniture.
So if you have not done a lot of painting, or have only used a roller and brush, it is best to start small. If you buy one of the smaller sprayers, to begin with, you will be able to learn how they work without spending a lot of money. Then, if you decide to tackle painting the outside of your house, you will know more about what you are doing.
Match your paint with the right paint sprayer
That said, the main thing about buying a paint sprayer is finding out what kind of paint you can use with it. Many paint sprayers won’t work with latex paints or some of the heavier paints. Even thinning them down might not work if you don’t have a lot of experience with paint sprayers.
As well, if you are doing a more important job, make sure your paint sprayer has a reversible tip. You don’t want a clog to stop your work in the middle of a big project.
Paint sprayers save a lot of time and money if you are a home improvement enthusiast. But there is a learning curve, so again, you have to start small. If you do, you will see that you will get the same results as the professionals – and refinishing a wooden chair or bench is an easy starter project.
Additional information – FAQs
What is the best airless paint sprayer?
If you look up some reviews, you will find the Graco and Wagner models score the highest ratings. They have the most power, are easy to handle, and clog the least.
What’s the best electric paint sprayer for home use?
Again, Graco and Wagner top the list, but there are other electric paint sprayers to look at as well. This includes the REXBETI Ultimate-750 Paint Sprayer, the HomeRight Super Finish Max, and the
FLEXiO 590 Sprayer. You should do your research before deciding on the best paint sprayer for home use that will get the job done.
What is the best HVLP sprayer for home use?
Once again, we go back to Graco and Wagner, but there are some other top models here as well. These are brands like the Fuji 2203G Semi-PRO, the Earlex HV5500 Spray Station, and the HomeRight C800766 Finish Max.
To decide which paint sprayer is best for your home project, you have first to determine the size and scope of the project. If you have never used a paint sprayer before, it’s best to buy one of the smaller, less expensive models.
When you use a paint sprayer, start small.
Again, try to paint a room or refinish a chair. Then you will know what to expect from a paint sprayer. The best thing to do is to look through this guide. Read about how the different sprayers perform for each project. Then you’ll learn a lot about which brand or size of paint sprayer is right for your project.
Be careful of the online reviews, though. There are many times when someone buys a paint sprayer and hasn’t used one before. There are also times when someone buys a paint sprayer that isn’t right for the job they are doing.
The right size paint sprayer makes a difference.
Just make sure you buy the right size paint sprayer for the project you are working on. Then make sure the paint you are using is right for the machine. Follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions – and you will get your paint job done in half the time – and with the least amount of effort!
I am extremely happy to share with you my experience throughout SprayerBoss. As a painter, I like to experiment with new sprayers from different brands. Since my first painting, I love to learn new things every time I doing a painting project for my own or clients. I have painted fences, walls, furniture, cabinets, cars, etc. but painting furniture is more challenging to me. Hope you will get the easiest way I found myself to overcome the difficulties towards a better finish. My hunger is to find the best paint sprayer that took less effort but budgets friendly. My 2nd child Dany N. Bailey always love to repaint his old toys. I will publish new tips and tricks as long as you are benefited from my blog.